Homework – Good or Bad?

Homework - Good or Bad?

Sitting down at a table EVERY SINGLE DAY after school for at least an half hour definitely isn’t living the dream.  Instead of basking on a beach in a tropical paradise, you’re stuck sitting at the table squinting at a computer screen or a Spanish worksheet that makes no sense whatsoever.  Do you ever wonder…what would it be like to have no homework every day of the week? That brings us to the big question – is homework good or bad?

There are many different ideas on the concept.  Some believe homework is an extremely beneficial activity, while others argue that it’s the stupidest thing that a kid can do.  I’ve included some quotes from MMS students that show their opinions on homework.

Lilly W. from the 7th grade Gold team believes that homework is bad for students.  “The teachers claim that homework is for reviewing what we did in class, but I think 10 minutes per class is enough homework, not hours each night,” Lilly told The Dragon.  

On the other hand, Abby N., also from the 7th grade Gold team thinks that homework is helpful.  “It’s a good review on what we do in class, though, it gets excessive after 5-10 minutes of homework for each class. Plus, a lot of people seem to “forget” what we do in class, so it’s good to have a review,” she said.

Now for the facts. Despite what these quotes from students scream at you, there are many studies on homework that have zoomed in on both sides of the story. Let’s start with the pros-the study on how homework is good (Geez, don’t look at me like that! At least you get it over with!).

A study from TIME Magazine recognizes the good things about homework. “The most comprehensive research on homework to date comes from a 2006 meta-analysis by Duke University psychology professor Harris Cooper, who found evidence of a positive correlation between homework and student achievement, meaning students who did homework performed better in school. The correlation was stronger for older students—in seventh through 12th grade—than for those in younger grades, for whom there was a weak relationship between homework and performance. Cooper’s analysis focused on how homework impacts academic achievement—test scores, for example. His report noted that homework is also thought to improve study habits, attitudes toward school, self-discipline, inquisitiveness and independent problem solving skills,” TIME explained.

Another study from Healthline proves that homework isn’t good for students.  “From kindergarten to the final years of high school, research suggests that some students are getting excessive amounts of homework. In turn, when students are pushed to handle what’s out of sync with their development level, it can lead to significant stress- for children and their parents,” Healthline said.

While a little homework may be beneficial, a huge amount just stresses us kids out. We can only be kids for so long, so we need to play, relax, and love life before our childhood slips from our fingers. Therefore, a small amount of homework is enough. It then leaves time for kids to enjoy the life put in front of them.