• November 7Geography Bee Finals scheduled for Thursday, November 15th!

• October 2Veteran's Day Celebrations Planned for Friday, November 9th!

• September 17The Dragon meets every other Tuesday afternoon in room 330!

Book Review: The Hunger Games

Amy B., Staff Writer

Imagine fighting for survival all year long, and then suddenly being forced to fight to the death? Having somebody say good luck, and then watch you die? Well, Katniss and Peeta must show the capitol that they are not just a piece in their games! But when Peeta stirs up some romance, things get more complicated for Katniss. All this happens in the Hunger Games, a dystopian/fiction novel by Suzanne Collins.

In this story, two main characters, Katniss and Peeta, must fight for their lives against 22 others. They all get thrown into one big, deadly arena where they must use survival skills to overcome hunger, dehydration, and other peculiar things. They must always be on the lookout for something bad to happen. Both of them must learn to get along and be a team or else it could be the end. All the contestants get sponsors on the days before the games where they are asked to go through training, do an interview, show their skills , and be introduced.

Samantha B, an eighth grader at MMS, explains “My favorite part of the story was when Katniss got her first package from a sponsor.” She says she liked this because, “It made the reader truly feel Katniss’s excitement for the first time.” You are with these characters the whole time, while they start to figure out how the Hunger Games work.

The author expresses a tone of tragedy, suspense, and even humor all in one! There are lots of sad moments where you just want to be there for the characters, but mixed in there is definitely a lot of humor to go around to lighten up the mood. Again, Samantha B. states how, “ She feels like she really gets to know the characters in this story because the author really lets you step inside Katniss and Peeta’s shoes, as she takes you through their dystopian society.”                                                                                                           

Overall this is an amazing book, and I totally give it a five out of five star rating, because it made you feel all kinds of different emotions, and there were so many surprises along the way. I just couldn’t put the book down! I think middle schoolers would really enjoy this book because it’s plotline is very, very interesting, and it is different from a lot of other books. Kelly B., a sixth grader from Fairfield, says, “I really think middle schoolers would enjoy this book because it is so action packed, and that makes it super interesting. Also, it’s not that there is only action, but she also loves how it has humor and tragedy!”                                 

I definitely recommend this book to students at MMS!